Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week of February 1

It's a good thing my New Year's Resolution wasn't to stay up on this blog, because that certainly didn't happen! Here it is, the day before February 1 and I'm writing my first post for 2016.

We will be celebrating the 100th day of school this week, always an exciting time at elementary schools. This day is celebrated a variety of ways across the country, most of which involve math. An exciting activity if you're finding yourself with some time to kill - hop on over to Pinterest and search for 100th day. There is a plethora of ideas for school and home.

In celebrating the 100th day, I have to admit it's a bittersweet time for me as it means we are over halfway done with this school year (55% to be exact). For parents of kindergartners, it's often a cause of excitement as they accurately recall the first day of school and all the jitters and now, after 100 days, dropping off their young one is a walk in the park. And for parents of our eighth graders, it means 100 days closer to 8th grade promotion, a day in which youngsters arrive on the threshold of adulthood, soon to be high school freshmen with new schedules, new teachers, new friends, new experiences, and a new school. An exciting, yet scary time, for both students and parents. Outspoken 8th graders may tell you they "can't wait to go to high school", and having been there, I couldn't wait either. However, I was also a bit nervous about the unknown and knew deep down I would miss the comfort of my junior high school and a staff I knew well.

So as our 8th grade class may be struggling with the emotions of "out with the old and in with the new", I know that many of them, if not all, will fondly remember their days at Lake. And while this sounds like an end-of-school post, it is what comes to my mind as we celebrate the 100th day. We came to this day so quickly that I know the end of the school year is right around the corner. The emotions that comes with "the end" are strong, and for me, they begin this week, the week of celebrating "100 days smarter".

May you celebrate the 100 days and reflect upon the growth of your child, both academically and behaviorally, and continue to give him/her the positive support every child deserves for the next 80 days we have together.

Happy February!


No comments:

Post a Comment